Queenstown Backcountry Ski Touring & Snowboarding
- Duration: 1 Days (approx.)
- Location: Queenstown, New Zealand, New Zealand
- Product code: P9VFYX
Queenstown Mountain Guides run daily guided backcountry ski touring & snowboarding trips in the Remarkables backcountry. Our daily trips access the vast basins of the Doolans ski touring area immediately behind the Remarkables ski resort. This area offers some of the best easily accessed backcountry ski touring in New Zealand.
Our backcountry trips are run by professionally qualified backcountry ski guides with in depth knowledge of the local terrain & conditions. Safety is our number one priority.
This is a great day out on any day and is especially epic on a powder day. There is so much untouched terrain behind these ski areas with no tracks! When you ski or ride with a guide you get the benefit of local knowledge & safety, our local ski guides are knowledgeable and fun.
Our Queenstown ski touring & split boarding trips allow you to ski & ride some steeps, shred some powder, or get an introduction to the backcountry while learning about avalanche safety. No previous ski touring experience is needed you just need to be an intermediate skier or rider and be able to ski off piste.
As well as being Queenstown's only professionally qualified IFMGA Mountain & Ski Guiding operation our guides have the best knowledge of the local terrain. All of our ski guides are professionally qualified and working in the industry. They know the backcountry - if they are not ski touring guiding you will find them guiding heli-skiing or working in the ski patrol and avalanche industry.
How experienced do I need to be?
- As a minimum you should be an intermediate skier/boarder. You should be able to comfortably ski/ride blue runs at your local ski field and also have some experience skiing/riding black runs. Off piste skiing/riding experience is preferred but not essential.
- You should be able to ski/ride with a light backpack. This is so you can carry avalanche safety equipment, warm clothing, and your own food and water for the day.
- You should have a good level of aerobic fitness.
- You do not need any previous ski touring or split boarding experience and you will be shown how to use the equipment at the start of the day.
What do I need to bring?
- Food and water for the day
- A small pack to carry your equipment
- Warm clothing, windproof jacket and pants, warm gloves, sunglasses or goggles, and sunscreen
- Ski touring equipment, split boarding set up, or board and snow shoes. See below for equipment hire
Ski touring ski's & split board hire
Ski touring equipment and split boards can be hired from Small Planet Outdoors, 17 Shotover St, Queenstown. For snowboarders Queenstown Mountain Guides rents snow shoes for $20 per day that can be used as an alternative to a split board setup.